Wednesday, September 28, 2011

dcpromo fails with error 1326: unknown user name or password

Problem:
Recieved an error 1325 (Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password) while attempting a dcpromo.
Here's a screenshot of the error: 


The Solution:
I ended up just setting the local administrator password to match my domain administrator password and magically it worked! It made no sense to me! Anyone know why?


Thanks to http://tsoorad.blogspot.com/2010/01/oh-my-aching-brain-cell-or-dcpromo-u.html for the fix!

1 comment:

  1. Local Admin pwd does not meet the domain's complexity requirements? I am seeing this - it's even weirder, I can add it to any of my domains except one (in a forest). The problem domain has some weird SSO software that gives me "complexity not met" when changing passwords on that domain so I think this is where it's tripping up, at least in my case.

    ReplyDelete